THE jPod


Tuesday, October 14

QUIRKS

Carrie, I do the same thing when brushing my teeth. Thanks for the tag. It took me a couple of days to come up with my quirks, because these things are usually done with out thought.

A quirk is an odd habit. Most dictionaries list this word's origin as “unknown”. However, as the surname arises from the Isle of Man in the Irish Sea, and because the island is somewhat notorious for idiosyncratic behaviors, we may find the word's origins there. Many surnames have fluctuated in their pronunciations and, hence, their spellings. Prior to the twentieth century, the most common variant for this “phylum” was Quark.

Rules: Tell about 6 quirks of yours. Tag 6 fellow bloggers to do the same. Leave a comment to let them know.

1. For as long as I can remember, I’ve HAD to have a glass of water by my bedside before I can sleep. By the end of the week glasses and/or water bottles have multiplied on the nightstand.

2. Ever since I lived in Seattle on my own, I developed a habit of locking “the door” behind me. It is done with out thought at this point. The worst is when leaving a place where I can lock the door from the inside. Not realizing I’ve just locked myself out, until I come back from the checking the mail and don’t have keys to get back in. Then there is accidentally locking my husband out too.

3. When I get excited my thoughts just rapidly race through my head. Left with having trouble vocally finishing my thoughts and my sentences are left incomplete.

4. Another lifer habit… clean hands. I hate sticky/dirty hands. If my spoon while eating ice cream gets sticky somehow and my hands are compromised in the process… bad news. I’ll go through as many spoons as it takes to enjoy my ice cream with clean hands.

5. This next is a little weird… maybe (someone might relate, I don’t know). There is nothing more calming to me then the smells of home. Example: when I’ve had a long day the first thing I want to do is smell my pillows. Then there is the smell of my nieces. Things can get crazy when the whole family gets together and when they jump on my lap and want to snuggle the first thing I do is smell and kiss the tops of there heads. I also enjoy picking up my dogs and sticking my face in their necks and taking a big whiff. The list goes on. It must be a feeling of being home.

6. Not paying attention. I can drift away quicker then driftwood at sea. Whether I’m in a car (as a passenger) or someone may have a long drawn out explanation (witch I’m just as guilty of too), I get lost. I end up in my own world and can’t find my way out. So if you happen to be talking to me and my eyes gloss over… grab my attention again. This happens to be the only one of my quirks that I care to fix, but time and time again I find myself in Jayme land.

I'm sure I have many more that I don't even realize, but it is time for others to reveal their quirks. Cheryl, Annette, Robert, Martha, Angela and Paige! You've been tagged.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Thanks Jayme! I love reading these. In fact, ever since I've posted mine, I've noticed about 3 more that I do DAILY. I just knocked over a glass of water by my bed last night. :)

Patrick and Paige said...

I am perfect!! I don't have quirks. ha ha. just kidding. lets see if I can pin-point them for ya.

Cher said...

AWWW j...reading your quirks makes me just miss you!! I love ya so much and I'm so glad you are my girl:) Can't wait to see you tomorrow!!!!

Martha said...

I finally did it! Thanks for the tag :-) PS- My quirks aren't endearing like yours are- you're so cute