THE jPod


Tuesday, November 25

CHEESE CURDS AND RONIES

Our trip to Oshkosh

Most of you know by now that Jeb and I have decided to stay in Oregon (for a few reasons), yet I still wanted to share with ya all our trip to the Midwest…


Thursday:

Jeb and I left our house at 4am to catch our plane. Our friend Rafael was kind enough to wake up and take us to the airport (there is a whole other post here...). Anyhow, we flew into Minnesota and then took the smallest plane I've ever been on to fly into Appleton.

Small Plane

Once my Dad's plane arrived shortly after us we all headed into Oshkosh. Jeb and I took a look at the University where he would be working for the week and we all got settled in after a bite to eat.

Friday:
My Dad and I checked out places to rent (if we'd decided to move) while Jeb went to work. We were off to a rough start. There is not too much to rent in this small quaint town and really I think we've just been spoiled living where we live now (I LOVE Portland!!!). I was looking forward to seeing this house that sat right on the shores of Lake Winnebago. I dug the idea of being able to look out my kitchen window and seeing the lake...

...But the house had little to desire.

By the end of the day I had narrowed our options down to an apartment right downtown or one just about six minutes away from downtown.

My highlight of the day was having lunch at a place beneath the downtown apartments called "Cranky Pats Pizza". We ordered a sauerkraut and sausage pizza that was new on the menu and we were the first to try it (tasty!!!). There at Cranky P's we also got our first taste of Sprecher Root Beer (Sprecher ended up being a big and happy part to our trip).

After Jeb got off work we headed to dinner and a movie. Thought we'd check out the local theater's opening night for 007.

Saturday:
We were on a mission to find great WI cheese. So we traveled out into the country a bit to find a dairy farm. Mmmm, everything we hoped and dreamed. Union Star Cheese Curds and Beef Sticks!!! (By the end of our trip, I hope to never see curds and ronies again).

On our way back to town we took a detour into Appleton, which is north of Oshkosh and a little bit bigger. Then back to Oshkosh where we spent the rest of the evening walking around their outlet mall. They had an outlet Pendleton Oregon shop... of all things (a little taste of home).

Sunday:
Despite Green Bay playing my Bears and winning by a large margin... I had a fantastic day. When we found out Chicago would be in Green Bay the weekend we were in town we tried to get tickets. This is a huge game and big rivalry, but we didn't have a grand to spend on tickets. So we decided to drive down to Milwaukee for the day and catch the game at a sports bar.

When we got to Milwaukee we did a little site seeing. We got our first glimpse of Lake Michigan. Amazing! It is just like looking out into the ocean. I still can't wrap my head around how fantastic it is.

The homes right on the shorelines are amazing with beautiful stone siding. They looked like little castles (some were castles).

Driving around the city we noticed so many clock towers and spires on some of these older buildings.

I love the lady bugs

My favorite was the Milwaukee Art Museum. Built like a sail it is so beautiful. There at that moment was the first part of our trip when I felt at home.

We made it to a sports bar called Saz’s (most restaurants in WI seemed to be Bar and Grills). There we were able to catch most of the game and Sprecher Root beer on tap!

One of our waitress's sisters lives out in Beaverton herself (truly a small world). She was telling us how she enjoyed her trip to Oregon and would love to live there herself. She wasn't the only, or last WI resident to tell us how wonderful Portland is (was it a sign?).

We decided to take a detour back to Oshkosh driving back up the shoreline of Lake Michigan.

Road Trip!!!

We ended up in this WAY cute little town called Sheboygan. By the time of day we reached Sheboygan the sun was setting (it sets early... around 4/4:30ish). Parking next to this amazing resort we decide to bare the FREEZING cold and venture out onto this huge pier that took us yards out into Lake Michigan. We had a blast! Cold and numb when we returned to the car… that is what seat warmers are for ;)

A birds eye view of how big the pier is. We were on the left one.

Monday:

Jeb headed back to work and Dad and I wanted to see Lambeau Field. So up to Green Bay we went. I really enjoyed the bounding my Dad and I had on this trip. It was really special to share in these moments with him. FYI... he ratted me out to our tour guides and told them I'm a Bears fan. All I heard Monday was how great Green Bay played and it was their greatest win this season. Blah Blah Blah. I sucked it up and enjoyed every minute of the tour. To be honest my Dad isn't a Packers fan either but we were there for the history of the game and I'll have to admit it was cool.


We loved Sheboygan SO much we wanted to catch it in the daylight. After Green Bay we headed back down to Sheboygan. Great town!


On our way back to Oshkosh we got caught in a snow flurry, crazy cool.


That evening we headed to Kodiak Jacks. We heard from a couple of locals that it is the place to eat and it was. The food was great and the service was even better. Sandra Lee was our waitress and she was amazing. I felt like I was a guest in her home.


Tuesday:
Was Dads last day and my last day with my travel buddy. We had been traveling SO much the last four days we put 700 plus miles on the rental. Deciding to keep it local we checked out the Paine Museum. It is a beautiful house with fantastic original artwork, yet I was a little disappointed I couldn't take any picture of the inside.

Met Jeb for lunch then went back to a place called Leon's where they serve fabulous frozen custard. Below freezing temperatures, bundled up and all, we were very grateful they come to your car and take your order to go. I'm amazed at the service they keep when running a frozen custard shop. The parking lot was never empty. Mmmm it was good.

Later that evening we headed back to see Sandra Lee at Kodiak Jacks (and Dad wanted to try their "24oz ground sirloin stake burger").

No... he did not come close to finishing this burger.

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday:
Jeb and I kept it low key. He focused on worked and I chilled out at the U and in the hotel.

Saturday:
Our trip home. Again our flight left early in the morning. Making it to Appleton with time to spare we boarding our plane at the usual 20 minutes before take off. As soon as we boarded the plane we un-boarded the plane. The plane had a frozen something of some sort. A delay is one thing but when you have a connecting fight... that is a different story. It makes for muddy waters. I was initially excited that our layover in Minnesota being only an hour, but at this point I knew we were closing down on a very small window of opportunity. After missing two connections to Portland because of the delay in Appleton we were able to make it in time to catch the evening plane out of Minnesota. Jeb and I spent the whole day on planes and in airports. My mother says she is never traveling with me (I have the worst luck with flying and am no stranger to waiting in airports).

Jeb was AMAZED at this electronics vending machine... we found it at the airport.

Side note: Funny thing is, everyone has a recurring dream that haunts them and mine is running late and missing a flight, bus what ever you have it. My dream that is a "recurring nightmare" is not making it to my destination, whether it home or vacation (weird).

All in all it was an experience. The weather is crazy cold and the people are crazy nice. It was a part of the country I have never seen before and blessed to have had a safe and wonderful trip.

2 comments:

Annette said...

Well I'm glad that you had a great time on your trip! It's awesome that you got to see so much and spend some quality time with your dad! I'm so glad that you aren't moving though! Love you guys!

Carrie said...

What great pictures! Thanks for sharing your trip. I think it's so funny how you and airports just don't mesh. You probably don't think it's very funny though. :) Sounds like it was a fun trip and more so fun b/c it was just a trip and ended up not being your future place of residence. (notice I didn't say 'home'. :) THIS is your home.) So when are we getting together now that you've been back??